2020-2021 University Catalog (Fall) 
    Jun 15, 2024  
2020-2021 University Catalog (Fall) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Veterans Administration Benefits

Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU) Financial Aid Office offers assistance with applying for education benefits. The following Veterans Administration (VA) benefits are available to veterans and dependents:

The VA requires all entering veterans to be formally admitted to the University before applying for VA benefits, however, veterans are asked to contact the Financial Aid Office well in advance of enrollment so that the necessary arrangements may be made with the Veterans Administration.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Southern California University of Health Sciences is a proud participant of the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program payment is paid directly to SCU on behalf of the student. The VA matches each dollar that SCU contributes up to 100% of the difference between tuition and fees charged to the student. The combined school and VA contribution cannot exceed tuition and fees charged to the student.


  • Only individuals entitled at the 100% benefit level (or their dependents using transferred entitlement) may receive Yellow Ribbon funding
  • Students who served at least 36 months or more on active duty, and
  • Students who served at least 30 continuous days on active duty, and were discharged due to serviceconnected disability

The following individuals are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program:

  • Active Duty personnel
  • Spouses of Active Duty personnel using Transferred Entitlement
  • Fry Scholarship recipients

If you are eligible, SCU will make the additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. This award is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill may receive this funding.

Student Responsibilities

Students must be formally admitted to the University before applying and receiving VA benefits. Students may apply for VA benefits online at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/vonapp. If students are unable to apply online, they can call 1-888-442-4551 and ask that an application be mailed to them. Students who have not received VA benefits before must file an original application. Students who have previously received VA benefits must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. Students applying for Chapter 33 in lieu of (or relinquishing) another benefit should complete a VA Form 22-1990.

Required Documentation

To apply for VA benefits at SCU, the following documents must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office:

Maintaining Eligibility

The condition of payment by the Veterans Administration of Educational Benefits is based upon actual attendance and maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) within the program of enrollment. Veterans must successfully maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (see SAP Policy  for more detail). Veterans not meeting SAP after two terms will be disqualified and VA benefits will be terminated.

Additional questions regarding VA benefits should be directed to the Financial Aid Office and/or the Veterans Administration.